CONSTRUCTION PROCESS AND METHODS (E234-01)
Construction Process and Methods
The area of construction process and construction methods covers the analysis and optimization of construction processes. It deals with general principles of building production and construction methods, analysing of special construction methods and identified construction site specific requirements for equipment and construction methods. Major means of production in the phase of construction and the associated production costs for construction are examined in terms of a holistic approach.
Special research themes in the fields of construction processes and construction methods are work preparation, the establishment, the organization and site logistics of complex construction of the building, civil engineering and tunnel construction. The requirements for the management of construction sites and the specific principles of management of construction companies will be given a main focus in this context.
Detailed support of the construction industry in selected areas by means of:
- Optimization of process planning and site logistics planning
- Improving construction management and site management
- Performance estimation and cost estimation of construction equipment and construction processes
- Prognosis of service requirements and costs in tunnel building and other underground structures
- Increased efficiency in quality, safety and environmental protection
- Leadership in - and contribution to - the development of constructional standards
Current research focuses:
- Data-based modeling, simulation and optimization of construction processes
- Knowledge management systems for selection of construction methods
- Issues of construction management in tunnel, cavity and power plant construction
Expert support to the construction industry through the advising of clients, designers and construction companies about complex current issues affecting the construction process
Practice-oriented education via lectures, exercises and seminars at both bachelor (constructional engineering) and masters (constructional economics and geotechnics) levels.
The range of lectures includes:
Construction Process I + II
Construction Process Planing
Construction methods in building construction and TGA Basics
Construction methods in tunnels and other voids
Basics of Construction Process
International Construction Project Management
Seminar with field trips to construction sites
Safety and environmental protection on construction sites
The Future of Construction Processes
Visits to current large construction sites and international study tours help in the understanding of the construction process.